EMA launches 20th anniversary book
By William Chin, PhD, Project Manager, EUCRAF
The European Medicines Agency (EMA) has been published an anniversary book to mark 20 years anniversary. This informative book captures the progress in medicines regulatory science by EMA over the past 20 years.
5 major topics were addressed in this book:
- Progress In Science And Developing New Medicines
- Unmet Health Needs And Health Threats
- Robust Decision-Making Facilitating Access To Treatment
- From Marketing Authorization-Only To Life Span Approach
- Access To Data And Empowering Patient
Of particular interest, Dr. Sol Ruiz from the Spanish Medicines Agency described on the evolution of biological products authorized in Europe. EMA has indeed come a long way since it first established the centralized procedure back in 1995 with follitropin-alfa approves as the first biological approved under this system. Dr. Ruiz also mentioned that there is deep interest to develop advanced therapy medicinal products and this is evident from the three cell-based and one gene therapy product authorized in the last 5 years.
To read more on all the other topics, please see the following link below.
1. EMA News and Events, 18 March 2015, Celebrating 20 years: EMA launches anniversary book.